The 5 Most Common Household Plumbing Mistakes
Posted on November 15th, 2017 by carrolladmin
At Carroll Plumbing & Heating we’re known for Richmond plumbing repair. We get calls daily for minor repairs, and we’re happy to offer residents in Richmond plumbing fixes. While we’re in your home, don’t be surprised if one of our technicians offers some advice on what not to do with your plumbing as well as how to identify warning signs that something is wrong. Ongoing plumbing maintenance and awareness is key.
See, it’s not every day that we pay much attention to our home’s plumbing system. The faucets are running, appliances aren’t leaking and everyone got a hot shower. All is well in your home, right? Not so fast. Just like it’s not every day we think of what’s happening in our pipes, it’s the everyday things we innocently do that prompts these minor plumbing repairs.
Here are the 5 most common plumbing mistakes you’re unknowingly making, and tips for a fast plumbing fix…
- Using chemical drain clearing products. Clogged drains are one of the most common plumbing repairs in Richmond that we see. Chemical drain cleaners oftentimes do more harm than good, eroding drain pipes each time they’re used. The safer, more effective method for drain cleaning is by using a snake to remove the entire source of the clog.
- Taking advantage of drains. We’re all guilty of treating our garbage disposal like a trash can. Yet with a little more attention to what goes in the kitchen sink, it’s easy to prevent clogged drains. And it’s not just cooking grease and food scraps, but soap scum, hair and other nasty clogging agents. Sinks, bathtubs and showers should all have some type of strainer or screen to prevent unwanted junk from going down the drain. These products are cheap and effective.
For more information on fixing these mistakes: Common Household Plumbing Repairs in Richmond
- Dialing up the water pressure. High water pressure is a great thing when we want a powerful, hot shower. However, water pressure that’s too high forces every component of your plumbing system to work even harder, reducing system life and making it more susceptible to repairs. Have your water pressure checked to ensure it’s between 40 and 85 psi. Consider installing a low-flow showerhead for extra efficiency.
- Ignoring signs of hard water. Ever notice white buildup on faucets and showerheads? This is a sign of hard water which contains minerals like magnesium and calcium. Not only can it be dangerous for your health if consumed in high amounts, but damaging to your plumbing system. Mineral buildup can corrode pipes, restrict water flow and increase pressure. Find out the hardness of your water and think about installing a filtration system or water softener for a plumbing fix.
- Flushing it all down. Similar to how we abuse our garbage disposal, many of us mistreat our toilets. There is a reason all bathrooms need a trash can. Things like Q-tips, cotton balls, baby wipes, paper towels, even Kleenex, don’t break down and dissolve like standard toilet paper. It’s amazing some people even try to flush diapers! If it’s not toilet paper, don’t flush it. If you do, count on us for the quality plumbing repair your toilet deserves.
Take a proactive approach to plumbing
When it comes to keeping your plumbing healthy, a little knowledge goes a long way. Seeking an expert for Richmond plumbing maintenance and repair? Look no further than Carroll Plumbing & Heating Inc., contact us today for a quick plumbing fix!